SEO is one of the most important digital marketing skills, yet some say it takes the longest to master.
So whether you need to perform keyword research, audit your website, do competitive research, or just want to see how well you rank on Google, you should use one of the best SEO tools.
I have had several marketers ask the same question:
“What's the best way to make your website SEO-friendly on a small budget?”
One obvious business solution is to hire a reputable SEO company to help.
But if you are a small business or online entrepreneur, then paying thousands of dollars each month is out of the question.
There's also a ton of great SEO knowledge you can find online. This includes long-form SEO guides, expert roundups on how to drive traffic, and helpful YouTube videos.
However, the best option is to leverage SEO tools that can help you master SEO and increase your rankings for a low monthly cost.
In this post, I'll go over the 20 best SEO tools perfect for anyone looking to raise their SEO game.
What Are the Best SEO Tools?
Here are my picks for the best SEO tools to try this year.
SEMrush is a leading competitor analysis tool that helps users evaluate their competitors as well as their own content. It provides robust metrics and allows users to get top-performing pages, content, and keywords.
SEMrush has been successfully helping many website owners and ecommerce entrepreneurs to understand the SEO strategies of their competitors. This makes it one of the most popular SEO tools among small and medium-sized enterprises.
The SEO tool offers the best help for SEO, PPC, ad campaigns, backlinks, keyword research, SERP, and much more.
- Organic Research - This feature allows the users to see the top keywords used by their competitors, and comp the changes of domains.
- Advertising Research - It helps you run better ad campaigns by analyzing the ad budgets of the competitors. You can also localize your ad campaigns.
- Product Listing Ads - SEMrush allows the users to see competitors' Product Listing Ads and product feeds.
- Traffic Analytics - SEMrush accurately tells about the online performance and traffic of a website. It also helps you understand the behavior and media consumption of potential customers.
SEMrush offers three paid plans. The Pro plan is $99.95, the Guru plan is $199.95, and the Business plan is $399.95. There is also a quote-based Enterprise plan that you can customize according to the specific needs of the entrepreneurs.
- Creating guest blogging strategies
- Analyzing the strategies of the competitors
- Tracking past and current website ranking
- Performing technical SEO audits and gauge user experience
- Finding good advertising opportunities for CPC
- Doing robust keyword research to make your content rank higher
- Newbies might find it a bit complicated
- You have to pay a hefty tag for more advanced features
- Instances of inaccurate data regarding advertisements and backlinks
Get started with SEMrush today.
Ahrefs is one of my favorite SEO tools on the market. Not only is it the second-fastest web crawler (only behind Google) but it has the best user interface out of all tools on this list.
It's primarily used for backlink audits, competitive analysis, URL rankings, keyword research, and more. Like SEMrush, Ahrefs also offers organic search reports to analyze the traffic of your competitors' sites.
On top of that, this SEO tool crawls the web and tons of data and thus helps you boost your search engine substantially. Users then use that extracted data for link building, keyword research, SEO strategies, rank tracking, and content marketing. I especially love their keyword explorer tool, which allows you to see keyword difficulty and related keywords that “also rank” for target phrases.
All these impressive features make Ahrefs a highly competitive SEO tool used by numerous SEO professionals and entrepreneurs worldwide.
- Generates Numerous Keywords - Ahrefs generates millions of keywords on a single research query.
- Ranking History - You can see the ranking history of any keyword used on any page of your website.
- Content Explorer - You can do a content search within the Ahrefs database that contains more than 1 billion web pages.
- Monitor Outbound Links - Ahrefs shows outgoing links report in the site explorer. This helps you keep proper track of where your guest posts are linking.
You can test out the product by opting for the 7-day trial for $7. After that, you can upgrade to the subscription plans start from $99 and range up to $999.
- Getting website improvement tips for increased visibility and ranking
- To get a clear backlinks analysis report
- To know the URL rating
- To get historical backlink data analysis
- To build a content strategy
- Lack of automated client-facing reports if you're running an agency
GrowthBar is one of the easiest to use SEO tools on the market. They enable users to see millions of keyword results, your competition's backlinks, Google Ads data, and even Facebook Ads.
GrowthBar is a Google Chrome extension that enables you to cover all your SEO needs right from the Google search engine results page (SERP). So it's lightning-fast and 100% intuitive. If you can Google search, you can use GrowthBar!
Because of the simple user interface and robust data sets, it's becoming a favorite choice for entrepreneurs, small businesses, and freelancers. But GrowthBar counts bigger companies like Minted, Okta, Bill.com, and Teepublic among its customers as well.
- Organic Research - See millions of keyword suggestions along with their competitiveness score.
- Competitiveness Metrics - See your competitors' top organic keywords, top backlinks, and export any of the metrics into an Excel-friendly CSV.
- Difficulty Score - Understand how easy or difficult it is to rank for a certain keyword using GrowthBar's proprietary “ranking difficulty score.”
- Word Count - A feature unique to GrowthBar enables you to easily see how many words your competitors' organic listings have so that you can tailor your content to win in the SERP.
You can test out GrowthBar for 5 days for free, before upgrading to a $29/mo paid subscription.
- Lightning-fast insights for improved rankings that live directly in the SERP
- Competitive research: understand your competition's top organic keyword, Google Ads keywords, backlinks, and Facebook Ads
- Get word counts and keyword suggestions to build your content strategy
- As of now, you must use it within the Google SERP
- Lacks technical SEO metrics
- Lacks historical tracking data
4. Authority Labs.
Authority Labs is another highly useful SEO tool that comes with a super-easy user-friendly interface. With Authority Labs, you can easily set up multiple sites and optimize your SEO campaigns. It also helps you acquire location-specific rank tracking to laser target your audience.
Users can also track the SEO campaigns and strategies used by their competitors in the market.
- Global Tracking - You can easily do both local and global tracking for different countries and cities.
- Keyword Targeting - Effective keyword targeting with keyword research tools.
- Free Trail - Authority Labs also offers 30 days free trial.
- Daily Reporting - Receive in-depth reports with daily rank checking that help you analyze where you are standing.
Authority Labs offers four different pricing plans. The Plus plans costs $49, and the Pro plan is $99. Other more advanced plans include Pro Plus at $225 and the Enterprise plan at $450. Apart from this, you also get a 30-day free trial; no credit card required.
- Tracking competitor domains
- Tracking product ranking on various sites
- Comparing mobile ranking to desktop results
- Offers in-depth analytical reports automated reports into the reporting process
- Sorts keywords in alphabetic order, and there is no option to change this filter setting
When it comes to SEO and digital marketing solutions, Serpstat is a one-stop-shop. From optimizing your SEO to running your ad and content marketing campaigns, it helps you with just about everything.
The Serpstat tool does keyword research, competitor research, PPC analysis, and so forth. The dashboard is smooth and easy to use to avoid complexity. Plus, it also helps website owners to keep complete track of the backlinks of their competitors.
- Website Analysis - Serpstat runs an analysis by monitoring the domain and URL of the website. The analysis includes in-depth SEO and PPC research.
- Keyword Research - Keyword research includes cluster research, search suggestions, search volume, content marketing, and SERP analysis.
- Backlink Analysis - Collects full backlinks data spanning over the last two years and at the same time keeps track of your competitors' backlink strategies.
- Site Audit - Cleans up your website, HTML, page speed, and never lets you miss any potential error.
Serpstat offers four different pricing plans that include monthly and yearly subscriptions. The Lite plan costs $69 per month, the Standard plan is $149, the Advanced plan is $299, and the Enterprise is $499. You also get a 30-day free trial.
- Searching keyword variations and collecting international data
- Checking the relevance of different webpages
- Tracking universal search results
- Finding ad strategies and budget of your competitors
- Site auditing is quite slow for heavy websites
- Shows inaccurate keywords sometimes
6. Long Tail Pro.
Long Tail Pro is a keyword research tool that helps you explore less competitive keywords. These keywords can help you acquire high-converting online traffic, whatever your niche.
It offers excellent keyword suggestions in bulk, along with the keyword competitiveness score. This SEO tool is perfect for beginners and startups.
- Create Multiple Projects - keep your all campaigns for different sites perfectly organized
- Import and Export - Quick export of the best keywords into Excel and import into the Long-Tail Pro dashboard
Here's how the Long Tail Pro works:
Long Tail Pro offers three different pricing plans along with 10 days of the money-back guarantee. The Agency plan costs $98 per month, the Pro plan is $45, and the Starter plan is $25.
- Finding competitive keywords
- Generating long-tail keywords
- Limited manual keywords
- Limited seed keywords
- Does not help in analyzing backlinks
SEObility is a powerful all-in-one SEO software that helps you monitor your website, which comes in handy in SEO optimization. With its daily updates and link building tools, SEObility helps entrepreneurs improve their search engine rankings with ease.
On top of that, it crawls all the linked pages of a website efficiently and finds issues, such as duplicate content and broken links.
- Rank Tracking - Helps you track daily keyword rankings based on different demographics and search engines.
- Keyword Monitoring and On-page Analysis - Does on-page crawling and keyword monitoring giving proper improvement suggestions to the users.
- Local Search Results - Users can also evaluate and monitor the local search results that will help them rank higher for a specified targeted group.
- Competitors Comparison - Quickly explores and compares the content of your competitors' website so that you can optimize your process.
- PDF Export and E-Mail Reporting - Generate regular reports to show a change in the rankings of the websites.
The Basic plan, designed for beginners is available at free of cost. The Premier plan designed for professional websites is available at 30 days of a free trial. After the trial, the plan costs $50 every month. The final Agency plan is $200 and is perfect for large websites and agencies.
- Website crawling and site auditing
- Checking daily updated Google rank tracker
- Link building and backlink checking
- Whitelabel reporting and regular monitoring
- Runs a Metadata and on-page check
- Blacklist and safe browsing check
- Monitors your page response time
- Exports in-depth reports in CSV and PDF format
SEOquake is one of the most powerful SEO tools and browser plugin that offers numerous SEO metrics. It is especially useful when it comes to content marketing as it quickly gives detailed information on any website.
It provides essential metrics, such as:
- Number of external links
- Alexa rank
- Google rank
- Domain age
- SEMrush rank
- SEO Bar - You just need to browse the web pages with SEO Bar and it will provide you with quick information.
- SERP Overlay - It helps you view complete analysis of the SERP, and results can be exported in CSV format.
- Keyword Analysis - Provides detailed and structured reports on keywords with proper keyword analysis.
- Print and Export - Data can be saved into CSV file format from any file.
Entirely free of cost.
- Conducting an on-page SEO audit
- Examining internal and external links
- Comparing URLs and domains in real-time
- Exporting data into CSV file format
- High-level parameters are quite confusing for the new users
SEOptimer is an easy-to-use and straightforward SEO audit tool that helps you improve your page ranking. It excellently performs on-page optimization and off-page link building.
- White Label SEO Audit - Gives websites their own branded reports by running a check multiple factors.
- Embeddable Audit - Helps you generate more leads and sales for the websites.
- SEO Crawler - Helps in detecting technical SEO problems by scanning every page of the website.
- SEO Audit API - Used for trend analysis, tracking problems, and bulk reporting.
The pricing plans include one plan for the websites and two programs for digital marketers. The DIY SEO plan for sites costs $19 per month. On the other hand, the White Label plan and the White Label and Embedding plan for digital marketers cost $29 per month and $59 per month, respectively. You also get a 14-day free trial.
- Content marketing
- On-Page Optimization that includes improving various elements of the actual site
- Off-Page Optimization that includes building quality links
- Ad campaign management for a quick traffic
- Social campaigns to improve social presence
- No mobile app
LinkMiner by Mangools is a highly effective backlink checker tool that helps you identify broken links. On top of that, it provides you with information like DA, Facebook likes, backlinks from Ahrefs, Moz, and more.
- Powerful Backlinks - LinkMiner helps you identify Do-follow or No-follow backlinks by applying quick and advanced filters.
- Link Strength - Evaluates the strength of the backlinks based on Citation Flow, Trust Flow, and Alexa Rank.
- Advanced Backlink Analysis - Provides link building opportunities by finding new backlinks.
Initially, you get a 10-day free trial. After that, the paid plans start at $29 per month and range up to $79 per month.
- Mining the backlinks of your competitor's website
- Finding specific types of backlinks
- Evaluating the strength of the links
- Does not always accurately assess the power of the backlinks
Pitchbox is an all-in-one solution that streamlines and automates the influencer outreach and content marketing process. It helps you get in touch with influencers and bloggers, which ultimately provides you with substantial link building opportunities.
- Campaigns - Pitchbox helps you run campaigns to get in touch with publishers, bloggers, and influencers.
- Product Review - The product review feature quickly finds websites that do product reviews.
- Email Templates - Offers preset email templates to engage prospective leads.
- Opportunity Detail Screen - Shows each prospect's info and also adds tags to the opportunities.
- Workflow - allows users to search and filter the results.
The prices are quote-based. However, online reviews suggest that the Basic plan is $195, the Small Business plan is $295, the SEO Agency plan costs $395, and the Enterprise plan is $1500.
- Finding influencers, bloggers, and publishers
- Customizing outreach emails with automatic follow up
- Making data-driven decisions to bring maximum results
- Little slow to load and navigation can be a bit complicated
12. Google Search Console.
If you want to elevate your website's Google ranking, then what's better than leveraging Google's SEO tool itself?
Google Search Console (formerly Webmaster Tools) helps you understand Google's perspective of your website, measure the site's search traffic, and fix issues related to your sitemap and indexing. By providing multiple data points and suggestions, Google Search Console is the backbone of your SEO. Note: Bing Webmaster Tools should be used in unison with this tool.
In addition to the Google Keyword Planner which runs through Google AdWords, Search Console is a must for every website. You can easily install this tool on WordPress with the Yoast SEO plugin.
- Communication Channel - Acts as a communication channel that sends information about errors in your websites.
- Control Center - Allows users to monitor the XML sitemaps that help them reevaluate and fix their errors.
- Data Source - Allows users to extract data into Google Analytics or other analytical tools.
Free of cost.
- Search engine optimization and data analysis
- Audience targeting and organic performance monitoring
- Metadata testing and security monitoring
- Sometimes warnings and suggestions come with a wrong explanation
- Doesn't provide any information on your competitors
- The new version is missing some vital SEO functionalities
Moz is, without any doubt, one of the best SEO Tools in the market. From site auditing to rank tracking and from backlink analysis to keyword research, there's not much that Moz cannot do. It provides you with industry-standard metrics and various page optimization suggestions.
You can also install MozPro for advanced features and the MozBar browser extension, which allows SEO analysis, Moz scores, and Google SERP info in your browser.
- Rank Tracking - Tracks organic rank and performance of thousands of traffic-driving keywords.
- Keyword Analysis - Helps you find new keywords with competitor research and SERP analysis.
- Backlink Analysis - Provides metrics like Domain Authority and helps you build additional backlinks.
- Site Audits - Crawls all your webpages to find any issues or errors.
Moz offers a 30-day free trial. The paid plans start from $99 per month and range up to $599 per month.
- Boosting website traffic and ranking
- Keyword research and on-page optimization
- Link profile analysis
- Does not explore many keywords
- Database and metrics are available for the US only
Ubersuggest needs no introduction. Created by the marketing guru Neil Patel, this SEO tool holds a stellar reputation in the industry.
It is basically a free keyword research SEO tool that helps you find numerous long-tail keywords to increase your content's outreach.
- Content Optimization - Helps you optimize content for blogs or websites by providing niche-keywords.
- Competition Analysis - This helps you analyze what your website competitors are doing or which keywords are helping them rank better.
- Keyword Analysis & Suggestion - Discover keywords your target audience is using.
Free of cost.
- Identifying keywords to elevate your search engine ranking
- Information on the competitive analysis
- Nothing to complain about; pretty good for a free tool.
SpyFu allows users to find the most profitable keywords used by their competitors. It also shows every ad campaign run by the competitors and their organic searches.
- PPC Ad Rank Tracking - Helps you keep proper track of the ads and also suggests expansion keywords.
- Monitor PPC Competitors - Keeps track of emerging competitors and their PPC strategies.
- Keyword Grouping - Shows keyword groups of competitors' AdWords so that you can incorporate into your own SEO strategy.
- AdWord Advisor - Suggests highly useful keywords by analyzing the campaigns run by your competitors.
- Keyword Spy Tool - Search for keywords used by your competitors and the number of clicks they get from them.
SpyFu offers three different pricing plans with unlimited access to search results. The pricing plans start from $33 per month and range up to $199 per month if billed annually.
- Spying on your competitors' keyword strategy
- Keyword group analysis
- Influencer marketing
- Track ranking of SEO keywords
- Does not always show the accurate data
- User-interface is quite complicated for beginners
WooRank is an automatic website review tool and SEO strategy checker. It provides you with tons of valuable data that helps you boost your website traffic, leads, and sales.
This SEO tool is perfect for everyone, be it digital marketers, webmasters, and agencies.
- Keyword Tool - Keyword tool is used for tracking keywords and the change in ranking along with exploring competitors' keywords.
- Site Crawl - Helps you to fix site errors, track security issues, quickly find indexing errors, and eliminating any duplicate content issues.
- SEO Monitoring - Monitor landing pages traffic, quick insight on keywords, website's uptime, and overall functionality.
- Sales Tools - Comes with a suite of sales tools that help you create highly converting sales pitches, white-label reports, custom PDF report templates, and more.
- WooRank Extension - A free tool that runs a detailed analysis of websites.
WooRank offers three different plans and a 14-day free trial. The Pro plan costs $59.99 per month, the Premium plan is $179.99 per month, and the Enterprise plan is $249.99 per month.
- Mobile rendering
- Social media data
- SERP ranking and backlinks
- Website analysis of your competitors
- Marketing checklist and site crawl analysis
- It is a bit expensive
17. Fat Rank.
Fat Rank is an amazing Google Chrome extension that helps you find out where your website ranks on Google. Moreover, it allows the users to quickly download the CSV reports from both the Fat Rank mobile app and Chrome extension.
- Unlimited Keywords and Domains - Fat Rank provides unlimited keywords for any website that helps users outrank their competitors.
- Graph Feature - Graph feature demonstrates the change in the ranking of the webpages over time.
- CSV and PDF Reporting - It mails in-depth and robust analytical reports to the user in both CSV and PDF formats.
Free of cost.
- Competitors' keyword research
- Quick ranking reports
- Multiple keyword checks
- You can check only one keyword at a time
- Does not allow you to save previous keyword data
Unlike other SEO Tools on this list, Siteliner does not come with additional bells and whistles. That said, it is still a powerful tool that allows website owners to run a thorough check on their website. It helps you find issues, such as broken links, duplicate content, and more. This helps them improve the quality of their website(s), which ultimately results in boosting their search engine rankings.
- Duplicate Content - Siteliner evaluates duplicate content on the website. Instead of scanning every single page at a time, it scans 500 pages at once.
- Page Power - Analyses the power of pages based on the number of backlinks.
- Broken Links - Ensures that every link on the website is working correctly by thoroughly scanning the website for broken links.
- Reports - Shows a detailed report of each page with a standard XML sitemap.
Siteliner offers two different pricing plans. The “Siteliner Free” is free of cost and allows you to analyze up to 250 pages per month. The paid version, called the Siteliner Premium, costs 1c per page and can scan up to 25,000 pages in a month.
- Finding duplicate content
- Finding broken links
- Boosting the power of your webpage(s)
- Limited to internal analysis only
19. Screaming Frog SEO Spider.
Screaming Frog is one of the best SEO Tools that help you perform super fast website audits. You just have to enter the URL of your website, and it will start crawling to find any broken links, missing tags, duplicate content, and so forth. Hardly any error goes unnoticed by Screaming Frog.
- Audit Redirects - Helps in identifying both temporary and permanent redirect chains.
- Duplicate Content - Finds duplicate content, duplicate URLs, and any other duplicate element.
- XML Sitemaps - Quickly generate XML sitemaps by doing proper advanced configuration over the URLs.
- Analyze Metadata - Properly analyze your metadata and page titles to make sure they have an appropriate length.
Screaming Frog is available free of cost but only if you want to crawl up to 500 URLs. Otherwise, you can upgrade to the paid version that costs £149 per year.
- Extracting data with XPath
- Finding duplicate content
- Lacks an API
- The free version comes with limited options
20. Seed Keywords.
Seed Keywords allows website owners, bloggers, and influencers to find the most valuable keywords to increase their search engine rankings. Users can find the most suitable keywords for their websites by creating a search scenario for a particular query.
Here's how it works:
First, create a scenario, which is nothing but asking a question.
Example: “if you have a faulty PC and you need to get it fixed. What would you search for?”
After that, the tool will provide you with a unique URL that you need to share it as many people in your vertical as you can.
Next, you will have people answering your query, which means now you have a vast list of search terms from real-life users.
Create a Scenario - Helps generate unique URLs by creating a unique scenario according to the need of your website.
Seed Keywords - Provides different seed keywords to the users at free of cost.
You don't have to pay a single dime. No hidden cost.
- Gathering data by creating scenarios
- Discovering keyword ideas from real-life internet users
- Keywords can be inaccurate at times
If you want an all-in-one SEO tool within a small budget, then Mangools has you covered. It comes with a suite of five different SEO tools that can help you with keyword research, SERP analysis, rank tracking, and link tracking.
Unlike most SEO tools, Mangools doesn't offer extra features that you'll probably never use.
- KWFinder - It is a keyword research tool that allows website owners to find the right keywords for their website content.
- SERPChecker - It allows the users to check the websites which are ranking high for particular keywords in different places of the world. Users can also check the mobile ranking of the keywords.
- SERPWatcher - It helps users keep a proper track of the change in the rankings of the keywords.
- LinkMiner - It helps users analyze the competitors' backlinks and discover more backlink opportunities.
- SiteProfiler - Gives users a good view of their competitors' website so that they can analyze their process carefully.
Mangools offers three different pricing plans for businesses of different levels. It also provides a 48-hour money-back guarantee and a 10-days free trial. The Basic plan costs $29.90 per month, the Premium plan is $39.90, and the Agency plan is $79.90.
- Keyword tracking and competitor analysis
- Link management and localization
- Rank tracking, based on relevant keywords
- Does not provide a dashboard for clients
- The database is not as vast as other leading SEO tools
SEO Tools FAQ.
How long does SEO take?
It typically takes 3-6 months to see results from your SEO efforts. If you just started a blog and your website is brand new, it will take longer to index than a reputable, high Domain Authority (DA) site. For example, it took me about eight months to get my first 100,000 monthly visitors.
Now that I have a higher DA, I can write a new page, index it, and it can appear on page 2-3 of Google on the same day. Overall, the key is to treat every blog post like a long term investment and make regular updates to improve your search rankings.
What is the best free SEO tool?
There are a lot of free SEO tools out there, but they don't have as many helpful features as paid alternatives. However, if you want to monitor your SEO and do keyword research for free, you can try one of these tools:
1. Google Keyword Planner.
2. Moz Link Explorer.
3. Google Trends.
4. Google Analytics.
5. Google Search Console.
6. Keyword Hero.
7. Screaming Frog.
Can I do my own SEO?
Yes, you can manage your own SEO if you are well versed in SEO strategies. I do all of my own SEO for this blog - I launched last year and now write to 300,000 monthly visitors, so it's definitely doable.
Here are the steps to do your own SEO:
1. Read SEO blogs and take courses to improve your skills.
2. Know your target readers.
3. Do keyword research to find valuable keywords to write about.
4. Write your pages and blog posts with SEO in mind.
5. Build Domain Authority (DA) with backlinks from guest posts and link building outreach.
6. Understand how to use Google Analytics to monitor your traffic.
How much should I spend on SEO?
If you want to hire someone to help you SEO, the price can range from $75-150 per hour for an SEO expert ($750-$1,500 per month). High-end digital marketing agencies may charge up to $20,000 per month for complex jobs for large websites. Additionally, SEO tools are either free or cost around $99 per month. The first step to know what to spend on SEO is to calculate your return on investment (ROI) based on your website and niche.
Is SEO difficult?
Yes, SEO is difficult because it requires knowledge across multiple disciplines and search engines are always changing and updating their algorithms. To be successful at SEO, you need to build Domain Authority (DA) for your website with link building efforts. You also need to understand how to write content that ranks and be an expert in keyword research, writing, content marketing, WordPress, and more.
Using an excellent SEO tool will always help you to bring the best results and quickly improves the search engine ranking of a website. Also, with these tools, you can easily optimize your content and keep an eye on your competitors.
The best thing about these tools is that most of them come with a free trial. This allows you to test them out before making any final decision.
Which SEO tools do you use?
Further Reading on site: If you're just beginning, check out my full guide on how to start a blog this year. And if you're ready to monetize your traffic, you can read my reviews of the top 105 affiliate programs to join.